[pure-silver] Re: developers for Ilford warm tone papers

  • From: titrisol <titrisol@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:53:13 +0000 (GMT)

BKA was in charge of the production of Ethol products (last time I checkd ~2005)
they were incredibly good answering emails and querys.

When I told them I planned to use Ethol LPD 1+24 they asked me to convey the
results which I did and I got a few samples as a thank you.
I have to look at my notes from the time (~2002) but AFAIR

LPD 1+24 is basically a one shot developer.  I had 2,000 ml in the tray and
right before dipping the paper in I was adding 80ml of LPD stock and developing.
Their explanation was that the diluted developer made smaller silver grains in
the paper and thus the toner was able to creat the illusion ofr more color.  I
later found the same explanation on Tim Rudman's book.

With Patterson paper the tone was purple, I'd say it was far reddish and less
bluish

With Ilford WT the result was also a lovely lighter-aubergine color
but the most surprosing paper was AGFA's MCC which changed to a very special
tone of purple that I have never been able to reproduce.

Cheers

you used the word “was” describing LPD.  As Mark Twain once
said, “Rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated”.  It seems
alive and well:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ETHOL+LPD&N=0&InitialSearch=yes