[pure-silver] Re: correction for bellows extension

  • From: "bobkiss @caribsurf.com" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 08:26:27 -0400

DEAR MARK,
     I think the quick disc does the same thing as the formula using
magnification rather than bellows extension to calculate bellows factor.
Same results.
     The formula is Factor = (M + 1) squared where M is the magnification.
This is very easy using a view camera.  Measure any dimension of your
subject Ls.  Then measure the same dimension in the image on the ground
glass Li.  Now M = Li/Ls  Using the example given, if M =1, M +1 = 2 and (M
+ 1) squared = 4.  That is a FACTOR of 4, NOT 4 stops.
*****You can go through logarithms or you can use the Shakespeare's MacBeth
method, "Double, Double, Toil and Trouble".  By this I mean that opening up
each stop doubles the intensity of light on the film plane which means,
more simply, opening up one stop = a factor of two...double.  So a factor
of 4 equals two stops.  Going in the other direction (closing up each stop)
it is "Half, Half..." but I have had a harder time finding a good quote to
represent it.  Perhaps, "To half and half not".  Weak...  Perhaps "Half a
league, Half a league, Half a league on!"  Dunno, you choose...
     The reason it is good to know both the factor and the equivalent # of
stops is that you might choose to change the shutter speed instead of the
f# and then you simply multiply your shutter speed by, in this case, 4.
E.g., if you were shooting at 1/60,  4 X 1/60 = 4/60 = 1/15.
     I hope this hasn't got "Muddy Waters" playing in your head...
                       CHEERS!
                                  BOB