[pure-silver] Re: correction for bellows extension

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 13:39:23 -0800

On 3/4/2015 12:30 PM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
By factor of three, you mean three stops?
Not sure who this question is meant for but if its the formulas I posted its the ratio not stops. Remember one stop is a ratio of 2, i.e. half or double the exposure. The light transmission is dependent on the area of the aperture, i.e. the square its aperture. Since, for example, f/4 is double the diameter of f/8 it admits four times the light. In this case f/5.6 is approximately the mid point, that is twice the light of f/8 or half the light of f/4 but not exactly. So, if we are set up for a unity magnification, that is image the same size as object, the effective f/stop will be two stops larger than the marked stop because we need four times the light to overcome the inverse square law loss. The exposure _factor_ is 4. This makes sense because it can also be used if we want to change the time of exposure. For the marked f/stop the exposure is four times as long. I have a couple of Kodak Professional Data Guides, they have a dial calculator that takes into account distance, magnification and other factors. I suspect these are not too difficult to find on the used market but are not really necessary.

WB6KBL