[pure-silver] Re: "archival pigment print"

  • From: "Eric Neilsen Photo" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 17:58:47 -0600

So far, Harry has had the most pointed answer to Shannon's post that I have
seen. I have seen several discussions lately on the terms used in naming
prints of the new digital time frame. It is time to stop going back to the
French term for squirt in the context of digital printing and instead refer
to Harald Johnson's attributed beginning of the usage as that. I have a link
to that here.
http://www.ericneilsenphotography.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19

While it might have been ok to call a print a print back in the day, when we
started to seriously try and make money selling them, we had to have a name
to indicate what they really were just like painters, and etching, and
drawing, and ... gelatin silver. And yes to show it was not a kallitype also
a silver print without the gelatin or a albumen print, also made with silver
and a gelatin like thing ( ok a little lightness) .

The use of term archival in the modern ink jet is a bit over the top and
that brings up a whole different can of worms which is fade testing and how
subjective some of the early test were done. So what do we have? a race for
truth in marketing of the prints.  It will not be a sprint and the rules
will change from this year to the next.

 and I feel for those that have to look up the parrot piece and don't
already know it and perhaps, almost memorized.  It's not dead, it's just
resting. : )  perhaps like this conversation will do.

Eric Neilsen

Eric Neilsen Photography

4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9

Dallas, TX 75226