[pure-silver] Re: "archival pigment print"

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:44:25 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 12:36 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] "archival pigment print"

I went to a photo show today in Houston, and about half the prints were "archival pigment prints." This was at a prestigious gallery in Houston, and the prints were up for auction. There were some gelatin silver prints too, and some chromogenic prints, and a few alt process prints.

it's nice that there's such a variety of different kinds of prints now. The "archival pigment prints" were mostly very sharp and good. But, why do only *they* get to call themselves "archival"? Aren't silver prints "archival" too? This term--archival pigment print--makes ink jet prints sound somehow better than "regular" prints. I wonder if they really are. Can an inkjet print (which is a more honest description) really last a hundred and fifty years like a silver print?

I think I am going to start calling my prints "archival silver prints."

--shannon

That makes you think they are carbon prints but I'll bet they are ink-jet prints made with so called archival ink sets. If the gallery has no other description I think they are being seriously dishonest. Some ink sets claim very long life, in excess of 100 years. Generally "archival" which has no formal definition, means an expected lifetime of 100+ years. While there is a track record for silver-gelatin and some "alternative" prints, mostly carbon or platinum, there is absolutely none for computer prints. The life expectancy has been determined by accelerated aging tests which may or may not be valid. Silver-gelatin prints can be "archival" and there are plenty around which are over 100 years old, many of which did not receive any special handling in processing. In general the effects which tend to limit the life of silver-gelatin prints come from chemical decomposition of the silver image and of residual chemicals in the emulsion or support. The most common cause is apparently from incomplete fixing but poor washing is a close second. As it turns out what was considered "archival" washing in the past may have shortened the life of the pictures so processed. It was discovered by T.H.James of Kodak, around 1960, that a very small residue of hypo in the emulsion acted as a stablizer to some degree preventing oxidation of the silver image. This effect is nowhere near as effective as proper toning but there are a lot of snapshots processed by photofinishers which are still in perfect condition at least partly because they received no more than routine washing. Inadequate fixing is something else because it results in an overall stain and eventual sulfiding or fading of the image. Any sulfiding toner or selenium toner will yield very permanent images when toning is carried out to completion. However, Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner, which was the standard treatment for microfilm for years, was found to be ineffective at the high dilutions (1:19) being used. This was found in research carried out by the Image Permanence Institute of the Rochester Institute of Technology. The currently recommended treatment for microfilm is toning in a polysulfide toner, like Kodak Brown Toner, to the point where sixty per cent of the image silver is converted to silver sulfide. For prints toning to the point where there is a visible change in image color or density is probably enough. KRST does work but prints or negatives must be toned further than in the old recomendations. Dr. Douglas Nishimura, of IPI, told me that KRST is effective but must be used at a dilution of not more than 1:9 and for not less than 3 minutes at that dilution. This is not acceptable for microfilm because it changes the image structure too much but is fine for prints. The other standard treatment for microfilm, which is also applicable to pictorial negatives and prints, is gold toning. Gold, like selenium has minimal effect on image structure, color and density but does have some. Most papers tone either neutral or blue in gold toners. Generally warm tone papers will tone to a stronger blue color but mostly it is a cooling of the print. The only drawback to gold toners is the cost. Prints toned in gold will turn brick red if subsequently toned in a sulfiding toner and can be used to produce interesting split-toned images. If you can get back to this gallery I think it would be interesting to pin the gallery owner down about just what is meant by "archival pigment prints" and make it clear that they are on the dangerous edge of fraud with such a vague and potentially misleading description.