[pure-silver] Re: Yellow colouration in C-41 negatives

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:30:45 -0700

   There is a misconception about the overall color of color negative films. I started to write something about this but realize that I need to refresh myself because I am not coming up with some details from memory. However, the color is NOT constant, it is not an overall color correction filter, rather it varies with the density of one of the color layer (maybe two of them, this is one of the details I must look up). The idea is that the dyes which form the image are imperfect and transmit some undesired colors. This affects the purity of the reproduced image. By using dyes that are themselves colored but change color when affected by the developer, a reversed mask can be created on the film which corrects for the spurious transmission of one or some of the dyes. I must look up the name of the scientist at Kodak who invented this system, its fallen off my memory. If you look carefully at the image on a color negative you will see that the amber color disappears where some other color appears. In fact, it forms a reversed image.  Masking for correction of the color separation images on the film goes back before integral multi layer color film. In fact, it can be used with B&W color separation negatives to correct for the spectral transmission of the camera filters and film. The filters can become quite complex. However, it is possible by using the colored coupler method in multi layer film to eliminate or at least much reduce the need for this. The result is improved color purity and saturation in the print. There are analogous masking methods used in color reversal films but they use a different technology. The overall color in the unexposed areas is because the maximum density is actually shifted to a lesser density to allow the reversed mask. This is not very intuitive but will become clearer with some thought.
   Colored coupler masking is explained in several standard texts.
    Bob Kiss said something about reducing the complexity of color correction filters. He may have meant masking filters because color correction for an overall color cast is not the same thing as masking.
   I used to have a never-fail memory but as I get older I loose more stuff. Sherlock Holmes addressed this in his very first adventure telling Watson that he thought a man's memory was like a little attic (box room) and, after a while, you have to take something out for every new thing you put in. I think my memory has an open door at the other end which is dumping memories into the same space that lost nuts, screws and springs go into.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx