[pure-silver] Re: Wash aid lifetime

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:43:08 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "DarkroomMagic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PureSilverNew" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 5:50 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Wash aid lifetime

> Sounds like there is more to discuss, Richard.
> Martin Reed of SilverPrint  showed in his articles on
> washing efficiency
> (ŒMysteries of the Vortex¹, Photo Techniques, Jul/Aug &
> Nov/Dec 1996) that
> hard water washes far better than soft water. Distilled
> water, being the
> softest possible water is actually very poor at washing.
> Maybe you have even
> more reason than others to use a washing aid.
>
> Anyway, using a wash aid will wash faster than not using
> it. Consequently,
> you would get to your washing requirement sooner and would
> use less water.
> Why not use it?
>

> Regards
>

> Ralph W. Lambrecht

   I have this article. Its hardly original research but
reports what was known by Kodak, Agfa, and others, for
decades. It is the salt content in hard water that
accelerates washing. The fastest washing of all is had by
using sea water. This effect of sea water was known at least
a century ago although the reason was not known. It was
research into this puzzle that led Kodak Labs to the sulfite
wash bath, which is even more effective than sea water. Sea
water washing came to the fore again during WW-2 where it
was used on board ship and elsewhere that fresh water is at
a premium. Sea water washing requires a fresh water final
rinse, however, because the residual halides left by the sea
water cause very rapid destruction of the image.
Nonetheless, the overall requirement for fresh water is much
smaller than when its used for the entire wash. The point is
an important one, distilled water or very soft water is not
always the most desirable for processing.

---