[pure-silver] Re: Wash aid lifetime

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:42:55 -0400 (EDT)

From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Wash aid lifetime
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:50:02 +0200

> Sounds like there is more to discuss, Richard.
> Martin Reed of SilverPrint  showed in his articles on washing efficiency
> (勲ysteries of the Vortexケ, Photo Techniques, Jul/Aug & Nov/Dec
> 1996) that
> hard water washes far better than soft water. Distilled water, being the
> softest possible water is actually very poor at washing. Maybe you have even
> more reason than others to use a washing aid.

That was worked out by Green and Levenson in 1960s or early 1970 and
it has been a very known fact since then. We already discussed this in
the thread started by John Stockdale a few months ago. It is the
bicarbonate (and other anions) that makes the difference, probably not
the mineral contents themselves.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."