[pure-silver] OT: Condensation on frozen film (Thanks!)

  • From: "Michael Healy" <emjayhealy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:51:06 -0700

Thanks, everybody, for the feedback on condensation. It was good to be able to
tap in to
the wealth of experience in this group - and would have been, too,
incidentally, even if
all of you said that my own handling WAS the cause of the problem! The feedback
confirmed the soundness of my personal strategy, which is to pull frozen film
LONG
before I'm ready to use it, at least several hours, even a day where
logistically possible.
I've never had a problem doing this, and it was a relief to hear from so many
other
shooters to the same effect.

This incident reminded me, too, of a friend I coached a couple months ago. He
had his
first shot all ready, and only then realized that he'd forgotten to take film
out of the
refrigerator. I told him then, man, you should wait for a good hour, at least.
Well, he
hesitated, and then said, what the hell. Used it straight out of the
refrigerator. I thought it
was risky. Personally I probably would have done that, not for a client, not
for me; but he
no adverse effects resulted. Maybe it would have been different if it were
summer in St.
Louis, I don't know.

Jim, you made a good point, too, about refraining from opening/closing
canisters before
freezing. I never have done that, but then it never even had occurred to me.
Again, I
would think that the risk in doing this increases or decreases according to
whether it's
the fog of San Francisco, the humidity of St. Louis humidity, or the torture of
Phoenix.
Let's say we'll let somebody experiment on that one. I'm glad you mentioned
that,
though. Another risky practice to avoid.

By the way, the lab resoaked them, and this did fix them. So the entire problem
certainly
DID originate in their house. The manager told me yesterday that this sort of
thing can
happen if the run includes clips. I dunno, but a comment like that makes me
think
somebody was pushing the equipment at the potential expense of quality. Made me
think back to the days when the one-hour labs were choosing not to change to
fresh
chems on Friday afternoons because, well, it's true that they were exhausted,
but who
wants to waste a whole week's worth of fresh chems for the last ten lousy rolls
straggling
in on Friday afternoon before the place is shut down for the weekend...?!

Mike