[pure-silver] Re: Typical Printing Waste

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:17:38 -0500

<eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>

can I use the densitometer ... between 3.7 and 4.0

The meter's range is 10 stops, 3.7 to 4.0 OD is 12 to 13 stops, so your light source would have to be 4 - 5
stops brighter than the meter's top-end.  You would
have to measure the difference between a known sample
and the new sample.  Or have some way of adding a known
number of stops of light attenuation.  It's do-able,
but it isn't the right instrument for the job.

If so, then it's a business expense!

How's business?  See, it's a business meeting.

I have a one of those old plastic digital timers with the led display. A stop is just twice the time (or half).

Well, yes.  But if you have 3.2 stops of exposure and want to
burn 0.7 stop (about 1 1/2 zones) what do you set the timer to?
3.2 stops       =  9.2 seconds
3.2 + 0.7 stops = 14.9
     Difference =  5.7 seconds

It gets a bit awkward.  That's why there are timers that
work in stops.

Maybe there's an instruction manual PDF, and I'm being lazy?
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/ex-faq.htm
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/support/eminstructionsj.pdf
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/support/mfsquicks.pdf
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/support/mfstinst104a.pdf