[pure-silver] Re: Swapping Out Lens Elements On Ektars

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 00:23:51 -0400

"Richard Knoppow" wrote:'

Note that Tessars of all makes suffer from oblique spherical aberration. ... A good Tessar should be pretty much free of it at about 25degrees half-angle, when stopped down about a stop and a half. For an f/4.5 lens it should be comletely gone at about f/11 at the corners of a 4x5

The Zeiss branded Tessar on the Yashica T4/T5 is a 35mm f3.5
and is sharp in the corners wide open.  The camera doesn't
start to stop the lens down until the shutter speed is 1/200
or faster (or something in that neighbourhoud).

This sort of performance isn't usual for a Tessar - I would
assume the T4's Tessar is a reformulated lens based on the
classic tessar.

As to spacing - front element focusing is common on triplets,
but I have never seen front group focusing.  A Tessar can be
looked at as a triplet with an achromat rear element - although it
is said it was derived by a different path from a double
achromat.

The Schneider Angulons (the inside-out Dagor design) that I
have are shimmed to compensate for either variations in shutter
thickness and/or variations in the lens elements.

I would think that measuring the distance with a vernier caliper
to insure the spacing is the same would be more than adequate.
Shims can be made from paper.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC