[pure-silver] Re: Swapping Out Lens Elements On Ektars

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 22:09:03 -0400

On 03/17/2014 08:53 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> If I find another identical lens/shutter, can I just remove the back
> element,
> or both elements and put them on my shutter?   The reason I ask is that
> someone is selling an identical lens with a crummy shutter and my
> Supermatic
> works pretty well.
>
> I guess what I am asking is whether or not the lenses were custom fit to
> each
> shutter or if they're reasonably interchangeable across a common shutter.

I suppose the spacing of the elements is critical.
I further suppose that since WW-II ended, the labor cost of custom
fitting was prohibitive, so they designed lenses so that the spacing in
the shutter was not unbearably critical.

HOWEVER, I have a lens set with 5 elements that fits a Copal #1 shutter,
and if that shutter quit, I would be up the creek. Because Ron Wisner,
who designed the lens set, needed the elements a little closer together
than he could get with the standard shutter, so he machined the threaded
part (or replaced it, I am not sure which) so the elements were a little
closer together. I doubt they are custom fit (lens design is Plasmat),
but you cannot buy the shutter with the right spacing.

So before you switch shutters, be really careful that they really are
identical. And if someone already replaced the shutter, you cannot be
sure he did it right, so you will need to find out the correct spacing
somehow.

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 22:00:01 up 1:52, 2 users, load average: 4.28, 4.44, 4.58