[pure-silver] Swapping Out Lens Elements On Ektars

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 19:53:54 -0500

I have a 127mm Ektar in a Supermatic shutter that has an evil back element
that is showing fungus, separation, and - it looks like - slight cracks.
It takes pictures OK, but I am not enthusiastic about it.

If I find another identical lens/shutter, can I just remove the back element,
or both elements and put them on my shutter?   The reason I ask is that
someone is selling an identical lens with a crummy shutter and my Supermatic
works pretty well.

I guess what I am asking is whether or not the lenses were custom fit to each
shutter or if they're reasonably interchangeable across a common shutter.

Similarly, say I found the same lens that someone had reshuttered later.
Can the element be taken from such a combination on put on my shutter.
(This is more of an academic question out of curiosity.  I assume that
if it can be done in the case above, it would also apply here.)

Thanks,