[pure-silver] Re: Swapping Out Lens Elements On Ektars

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:40:30 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Daneliuk" <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 5:53 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Swapping Out Lens Elements On Ektars

I have a 127mm Ektar in a Supermatic shutter that has an evil back element that is showing fungus, separation, and - it looks like - slight cracks.
It takes pictures OK, but I am not enthusiastic about it.

If I find another identical lens/shutter, can I just remove the back element, or both elements and put them on my shutter? The reason I ask is that someone is selling an identical lens with a crummy shutter and my Supermatic
works pretty well.

I guess what I am asking is whether or not the lenses were custom fit to each shutter or if they're reasonably interchangeable across a common shutter.

Similarly, say I found the same lens that someone had reshuttered later. Can the element be taken from such a combination on put on my shutter. (This is more of an academic question out of curiosity. I assume that if it can be done in the case above, it would also apply here.)

Thanks,
--
I have done some element swapping on Tessars that worked OK. In theory the front and back were chosen to work together. In a Tessar type lens, and the 127mm Ektar is a Tessar, the back component has the power and the front component has most of the correction. I doubt if there is much difference in spacing caused by the shutter. You can try replacing the back component and see what happens at the edges with the lens wide open, but, if you can get a whole lens in a bad shutter why not just swap both elements? That should give you a good lens. Note that Tessars of all makes suffer from oblique spherical aberration. This looks like coma although it comes from a different place in the light path. Coma makes points of light around the periphery look like tear-drop smears. Its fixed by stopping down. A good Tessar should be pretty much free of it at about 25degrees half-angle, when stopped down about a stop and a half. For an f/4.5 lens it should be comletely gone at about f/11 at the corners of a 4x5. This is a larger image than the lens was intended to cover but 127mm lenses were popular on 4x5 press cameras for press work because of the somewhat wide-angle coverage. The Ektar will just about do it at f/11 and is sharp at f/16. Old 135mm Zeiss Tessars, once the standard lens for a Speed Graphic, will also be sharp in the corners of a 4x5 at around f/16. Some lenses, notably the Wollensak Raptar/Optar must be stopped down to f/22 or beyond to be sharp in the corners. In any case, if you must swap cells this is a good test. The other test is to see how much focus shift you get from wide open to around f/8 or f/11. Focus shift is caused by residual spherical aberration and is very common. Well designed Tessars are relatively free of it but there is always some. This, BTW, can be a problem when setting up a rangefinder since the RF is fixed to the bed position and the exact bed position for sharpest focus can vary with f/stop. Usually, the RF is set up for maximum opening with the idea that depth of field/focus will accomodate the variation at smaller stops. A good Ektar is a very sharp lens. Even though the Tessars were very good one can see slight differences in texture rendition with the Ektar. BTW, I've seen other lenses with what appear to be cracks along some surfaces. I don't know what causes this but all showed other signs of being subjected to high humidity for long periods. One more note: The coating on Ektars varies all over the place. Kodak was not doing hard coating routinely on its "consumer" lenses until after WW-2. These are marked on the front retaining ring with the red L for "Luminized" Kodak's trade name for hard vacuum coating. Some Kodak lenses were soft coated as early as about 1939. Examples are the inner surfaces of the lenses for the Ektra camera and the Eastman Ektar, forunner of the Commercial Ektar. Also the lens for the Medalist I had inside element coating. These coatings were not baked in vacuo as were the later ones so can come off with routine cleaning. Early small Ektars as used on Speed Graphics, were not coated. Since I am already way off topic I will add that some old lenses look like they are coated because they have a blue-ish reflection, usually from the front surface. This is corrosion of the glass. In fact, it can act as a coating and does reduce the reflection from that surface somewhat. However, usually only the surfaces that have been exposed to the atmosphere show the color.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL