[pure-silver] Re: Speaking of film...

  • From: Helge Nareid <hn.groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 22:11:15 +0100

You are right, I can think of many cases from my own experience where the choice of camera and environment as well as interpersonal relationships have been deciding factors in photographic sessions.

On a slightly tangential note - the best book I've ever read on photographic composition is "Perception and Photography" ("Perception and Imaging" in later editions) by Richard D. Zakia. It is based on perception psychology, which is an unconventional approach to the subject. I found it inspirational, and it has been a strong influence on my photography ever since I first read it.

- The Horrible Helge

On 18/07/2018 17:11, bobkiss caribsurf.com wrote:

I believe this is all covered by Gestalt theory; that every part of a process contributes to the outcome of that process. Having shot portraits for international magazines, individuals, corporations, etc., for over 50 years, I have witnessed this.  The camera size and lens, where it is held, whether the photographer keeps one eye open and in eye contact with the subject, the physical environment, all the personal aspects of both the sitter and photographer (relative genders, sizes, appearances, clothing), the lighting not only ON the subject but on the environment around the "set".  I am sure you all know that doing a portrait with a Leica is a very different process than with an 8X10.  Neither is better but they are definitely different.  This is where the vision, intuition, and training of the photographer come into play: what to choose in each variable for your creative intention when photographing that particular subject.