[pure-silver] Re: Slightly OT...mounting barrel lenses.

  • From: "Joseph O'Neil" <joneil@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 08:54:55 -0400

On 5/15/2011 12:13 AM, Bogdan wrote:
I'm open to suggestions.. Gluing them does sound extreme, but since they are barrel lenses, they would only be used on the Speeds. At least they wouldn't be collecting dust, clean, no marks...
All ideas welcome..  Thanks.
-snip-

When it comes to gluing - guilty as charged - but - it makes a world of difference how you do it. I always use a high quaility gasket seal that I can buy from a local automotive supply. Comes in several colours - black works good, and the point is, if you ever need to remove the lens, you can cut the silicon based dry seal with a sharp razor blade and/or a fine, strong wire (wear gloves), just like a heavy duty cheese slicer.

I was taought this by an optician who makes telscopes. He glues the back of his primary mirrors in palce with this gasket seal, and they stay there forever. But if the mirror needs to be removed, it can be done so in seconds. My 8.25" apo-artar (f9) is front mounte din an illex shutter and glued to a board for my Crown Graphic this way, and it works great.

joe