[pure-silver] Re: Slightly OT...mounting barrel lenses.

  • From: Chauncey Walden <clwaldeniii@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 06:36:49 -0600

On 5/14/2011 10:13 PM, Bogdan wrote:
Hello all,

I figured that there must be people in this group who have come across the same problem, (and found a solution), namely mounting a barrel lens that is missing it's retaining or mounting ring. I have a Kodak Anastigmat #33 171mm, Kodak Anastigmat 203mm/7.7, and a Russian no name 161mm.

I want to use them with my 3¼ x 4¼ and 4x5 Speeds but how how to secure them to the lens boards? Anybody here find a way around the problem?

Since the they will be use on Speeds, I thought one solution would be to permanently mount, (epoxy?) each lens on a 3¼ x 4¼ Speed lens holder and make an adapter to mount the small board on the larger board of the 4x5 Speed.

Was there ever an adapter made for mounting the 3x4 board on a 4x5 Speed?

I'm open to suggestions.. Gluing them does sound extreme, but since they are barrel lenses, they would only be used on the Speeds. At least they wouldn't be collecting dust, clean, no marks...
All ideas welcome..  Thanks.

How do the Kodak Anastigmats rate?

I have the 171 and the 203 and they are both very impressive lenses, sharp and contrasty. I put the 171 on a 4x5 bicycle camera and the 203 is on a Speed. I have another 203 in shutter in my 5x7 kit. For the Speed, I mount barrel lenses on small square boards with holes in the corners. I took a metal Pacemaker Graphic board and fixed machine screws in from the back that match the holes in the boards and just use wing nuts to attach them. The small boards take little room and I carry 12 or 15 or so in a fishing reel case. No flange, no problem. I cut the hole in the board to a tight fit and sort of screw the lens in and them a ring of hot glue from a glue gun holds them securely and can be removed. I've also made adapter boards for other cameras by just gluing (epoxy) narrow plywood strips around the larger board with a fifth piece overlapping the bottom to make a slot and using turning nylon window screen holders in the upper corners to retain the smaller lens boards.
Chauncey