[pure-silver] Re: Slightly OT: Large format telephoto

  • From: Charlie Thorsten <charlie_thorsten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:31:44 -0800 (PST)

Joe makes some really good points here.  A process lens like a red dot
Artar or G-Claron will be much smaller and lighter than a telephoto, and
usually cover 8x10 as well (although if it's mounted in a #3 shutter it can
be fairly large, too).  For me, the appeal of the tele was the short bellows
draw.  I'm using a Toyo 45A that only has a 13" bellows, so a straight
360mm lens would not be usable.  The telephoto leaves plenty of extension
left over for close-focusing.

One characteristic is that using tilts and swings with the tele can cause
strange things to happen, since the nodal point is actually in front of the
lens.  I pretty much stick to using shift movements.  Working with the lens
in practice is very satisfying...I haven't run out of coverage for 4x5.

-Charlie