[pure-silver] Re: Slightly OT: Large format telephoto

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:31:05 -0600

On 2/15/2010 6:30 AM, Myron Gochnauer wrote:
> What is the optical design of these pricey telephoto lenses? Are they a
> recomputed version of any classic design?
>
> I've heard nothing but good things about their performance, but the
> prices seem to be proportional to focal length and have little to do
> with cost of design or manufacture.
>
> Myron

A less expensive, but optically terrific route, is to find some
old process lenses and have them (re)shuttered.  That's how
I got my 14" Red Dot Artar and 19" APO Artar.  I had S.K. Grimes
reshutter them into new Copals and the lesnes are both just terrific.
Total cost for *both* with new shutters installed was well under
$1000.  I hasten to add that the Nikkors and Claron-Gs are reputedly
both amazing long lenses, but they are kind of pricey for my meager
wallet.