[pure-silver] Odd Problem With Mamiya TLR

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:32:28 -0600

I have an old Mamiya C-330f with a few lenses that I keep as a "fun" camera.
I just came upon a 55mm f/4.5 at a price I couldn't pass up.  The lens
looks barely used.  HOWEVER, something strange is afoot and I'm hoping
someone here can help out...

The 330f has a "distance scale" on it.  You rotate the scale to select the
lens you're using and after you focus the body, the scale indicates the
distance.  This scale works perfectly with the  80mm and 135mm lenses
I already have.  However, when I rotate it into position for the 55mm/180mm
lenses, the focus distances displayed a considerably shorter than the
real distance.  My understanding is that there is only one calibration
adjustment for the scale inside the body.  Since the scales work properly
for the other lenses, it's doubtful this is a body problem.

So, I suspect the lens.  But ... the lens looks almost unused.  Ordinarily,
I would suspect that someone serviced the lens and forgot to reinstall
the shims between the lens barrels and the mounting plate when they put
it back together.  But, there is no sign - not a scratch - to indicate this
thing has ever been disassembled.

I just shot a roll focusing carefully at different distances through the
finder.  If that's ok, then I'm not terribly worried about the distance
scale problem.  However if someone installed only *one* of the shims -
either on the taking or viewing lens - then the apparent focus in the
view will be different than the actual focus of the taking lens which would
be ... Very Bad (tm).

Anyway, anyone here have experience with these or seen this kind of problem
before?