[pure-silver] Re: Sad news

  • From: kironkid@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxx, walker.sue38@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 11:59:48 -0400 (EDT)

   A Dollar General Store? That's sad. I saw quite a few of them in New Mexico,
not long ago.

I have been fortunate enough to have a store like this in my town.  They
started business in that same location sometime in the 1930's and it has been
owned and run by three generations of that family.  Unfortunately, the current
heirs want their $$$ and are now in negotiations with Dollar General on a sale
of the property.  This great store may very soon be bulldozed...  It is like
you describe below.  There is STUFF everywhere.  The really neat thing is when
merchandise comes in the door they put a price tag on it.  That price remains
the same no matter how long it stays there.  When I started shooting older
cameras I was going in and buying series filters for less than ten dollars
because the price was what it cost in the 1960's when that inventory came in
the door!  They had a wealth of knowledge about photography and equipment that
you cannot find anywhere else...

It will be a sad day when they are gone.

Chuck Ulm
AKA "Speedy"