[pure-silver] Re: Paper Recommendation?

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:19:43 -0700

    I have the impression that cadmium was considered a hazard in the manufacturing process rather than as a component of the paper. There was a definite change after it was left out.  Here again maybe Bob Shanebrook could comment.
    Also, cadmium was a standard plating for electronic chassis and a good many other metal parts to protect them from oxidation. I think it is still required for some aircraft parts.

On 10/19/2017 11:33 AM, Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

Bob Kiss wrote:
...retired from Kodak soon after.  He decried the
banning of cadmium from photo papers because it seems that, within limits,
the more you used in the paper emulsion, the warmer was the tone...

When Kodak removed the cadmium their paper would age-fog *very* quickly.  After throwing away $500 of Kodak paper I switched to "anybody but Kodak."  I suspect I was not alone.  I don't know if it was the cadmium that protected the paper or if it was some other change they made when they took the cadmium out.

Oh, yes, and there was Agfa's bronzing problem.

Even though he had proved that none of the cadmium was freed in the
processing (tightly bound in the paper) they stopped using it to avoid
problems with the govt bureaucracy.

Ilford and Oriental seemed to be the only ones who could deliver a decent paper.  Did they leave the cadmium in?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC

Richard Knoppow