[pure-silver] Re: Paper Recommendation?

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 23:13:48 -0700

   Agfa made some extremely interesting papers. I was also a fan of Brovira and Portriga. I used the Ansco versions of these papers and later when Agfa sold directly in the US I discovered that the papers smelled the same. Agfa and Ansco had a very distinctive odor. They made some excellent papers but could never match Kodak for uniformity of surfaces and lack of frilling or cockling.
   Ansco's version of Portriga was Indiatone, a slow, very warm tone, projection paper that could also be used for fast contact printing. Toned beautifully and was as warm as Kodak Opal. They also made an excellent neutral tone contact paper called Cykon, IMO better than Azo. I am not sure what the AGFA name was for it, maybe the same. Probably the warmest contact paper I ever saw was Kodak Athena, almost brown without toning. I am sure the secrets for making all this stuff were never written down and are now forever lost.

On 10/18/2017 10:26 PM, Jeffrey Thorns wrote:

Looks like B&H can get Foma special order....

(Speaking of old papers, I will never get over the loss of Bovira and Portriga. Portriga in Kodak Brown Toner was chocolate on paper...)

Asmo Saarikoski wrote:
Foma: Fomabrom C112 (graded) and Fomabrom Variant 112 (variable contrast)
Ilford: Multigrade FB Classic 5K and Multigrade ART 300

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx