[pure-silver] Re: Old film that needs to be flattened

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 15:47:44 -0800

   You are correct, "safety film" refers to cellulose acetate film as opposed to cellulose nitrate film. Nitrate burns intensely and provides its own oxygen so is very difficult to extinguis. Also, once nitrate begins to decompose it can combust spontaneously. Acetate film will support flame but will not spontaneously combust.
   Nitrate motion picture film has not been made since 1951 and most other formats on nitrate were discontinued long ago. 16mm and 8mm motion picture film were _never_ made on nitrate base.
   It is the color sensitivity of the emulsion that determines if it can be processed using a safe light. Plain emulsions are sensitive to blue and near UV and orthochromatic emulsions are, in addition, sensitive to green and sometimes yellow light. They can be processed under a red safelight although some ortho films have enough far yellow sensitivity to require a very weak red light or restricted time. Panchromatic emulsions are sensitive to red light and can be processed only in total darkness. Some can be processed in very dim green light for short periods of time. The green light of a color where the sensitivity of the dark adapted eye is at its maximum. In addition many panchromatic films have a dip in their sensitivity to green light.
   There are desensitizers that reduce the red sensitivity of pan film and allow more extended processing under a rad safelight.
   Now, since I am being wordy, the method of processing will have no effect on this film. The problem is that its been bent or folded beyond the elastic limit of the support. While film support does absorb some moisture it is not like the emulsion, which absorbs a lot. Soaking it may result in softening the emulsion enough to cause it to separate from the support. If you want to experiment with floating it onto a new support this may be useful but otherwise I think it will make a difficult problem worse.

On 3/5/2020 2:41 PM, Ken Hart wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken (I've been mistaken before!), "safety film" refers to the flammability of the film base, and has nothing to do with a safe light for processing.

From Google/Wiki: "Cellulose acetate film, or safety film, is used in photography as a base material for photographic emulsions. It was introduced in the early 20th century by film manufacturers and intended as a safe film base replacement for unstable and highly flammable nitrate film."

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
On 3/5/20 4:50 PM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Had that happen once too.  In that case though I knew what was on it, and although there might have been some interesting flower pictures lost, that would not be nearly as bad a losing one that had your great grandmother on it when she was young.

I'm wondering if a film scanner that feeds from the sprockets could get the film flat enough.  My flat bed with its holder I am sure wouldn't.  Got two labs that might be able to do it.  Anyone recognize 3LIM or 31IM?  It is a safety film, which might mean this film could have been processed under a safe light.  My search has turned up nothing.  Just knowing that might be an important piece of information.