[pure-silver] Re: Old film advice ...

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:46:05 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Georges Giralt" <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
To: "Pure Silver" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 4:31 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Old film advice ...

Hello !
I've been given a bunch of 4x5 sheet film :
Ilford HP4
Agfa AgfaPan 400 expiry date 1974
Agfa AgfaPan 100 Expiry date 1975
All brand new and unopened boxes. Storage life unknown but as the outer carton seems to have seen some moisture, it could have been frozen for some time. Except for the HP4 box which seems to have suffered from moisture, all films seems fine. (I've opened one box of each and picked up one sheet. All the sheets are fine. Well mechanically, at least.
So my question is :
What kind of treatment should I give to these Old Timer's to get decent results ?
All help appreciated !

The film condition will depend a lot on how its been stored. Heat is the enemy. If the film was frozen it will be nearly like new. If refrigerated its likely to be usable. Otherwise it may have become quite foggy. The chemical reactions in the emulsion that take place before the film was coated continue slowly after coating despite chemicals being added to stop it. The result is fog and other degradations. Heat tends to accelerate these effects. If the packages were opened there may be further effects from oxidation or from sulphides in the air. You really have to test a film from each container separately. Fog can be suppressed by adding a solution of Benzotriazole to the developer. Benzotriazole is more effective against age fog than Potassium Bromide and reduces film speed less. However, it will not cure really bad age fog. The test film should be exposed and developed normally. The resulting negative will tell you what changes must be made or if the film is beyond practical use. The slower film is more likely to have survived than the faster stuff.

---