[pure-silver] Re: Old film advice ...

  • From: Snoopy <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:13:33 +0100

Salut Georges,

I have developed film almost 50 years old, so here goes:

Firstly make sure the emulson is not too dry, very often with old film you can cause cracks in the emulsion when its too dry. So keep the film under "normal" conditions for a while, so the emulsion gets softer and more flexible again.

Secondly overexpose by at least a stop. The film usually slows down a  lot.

For the AGFAs I would recommend Rodinal at 1+50 for about 15-20 minutes (at 20 centigrade). Some people go 1+75 for 30-35 minutes. Don´t agitate too much, every minute.

Be prepared to live with some hefty grain. Old film goes grainier. The AGFA APX 400 is always quite grainy anyways (you might get better results with Rodinal-S, thats the special fine grain version of Rodinal. I have some if you need it).

Good luck.Feel free to ask me some more.

Love
Snoopy

At 13:31 15.12.2006, you wrote:
Hello !
I've been given a bunch of 4x5 sheet film :
Ilford HP4
Agfa AgfaPan 400 expiry date 1974
Agfa AgfaPan 100 Expiry date 1975
All brand new and unopened boxes. Storage life unknown but as the outer carton seems to have seen some moisture, it could have been frozen for some time. Except for the HP4 box which seems to have suffered from moisture, all films seems fine. (I've opened one box of each and picked up one sheet. All the sheets are fine. Well mechanically, at least.
So my question is :
What kind of treatment should I give to these Old Timer's to get decent results ?
All help appreciated !
--
Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
S'il vous plaît, aidez nous à conserver nos ressources,