[pure-silver] Re: New old home, new lab questions

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 18:26:43 -0500

On 5/3/2010 6:01 PM, harry kalish wrote:
<SNIP>

> Someone has mentioned Home Depot. I suggest that you can go very wrong
> there, not only expense-wise (unless you are buying one of their
> loss-leaders of the week), but inferior products, and time, time, time.
> A few of the orange aproned people may know a thing or two, but many
> haven’t a clue. Remember, these are the ones who are working at minimum
> wage and getting jerked around by the corporate staff at every turn.
> IMHO, specialty shops are the way to go for big benefits, especially in
> the long run.
>
> Good luck.
> --Harry

This must vary greatly by store.  I spent a year working on various
home improvement projects, among which was the darkroom, and I had
consistently excellent service, advice, and pricing from HD.  It was the
specialty plumbing store that carefully instructed me to install the
backflow valves incorrectly and the specialty electrical store that
vastly overcharged for things like 4 gang switch boxes.  The HDs in
my area have tended to hire a lot of retired/unemployed tradesmen
in the past and these guys were a font of knowledge in answering my
dumb questions.