[pure-silver] New old home, new lab questions

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure silver <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 19:00:55 -0700 (PDT)

We just bought out first place and my lab is moving into the basement there.
I'm posting in hopes others here have dealt with these issues before and have
experiences they can share.

The basement is finished to the extent it has a cement floor and some drywall
that will be incorporated.  Presently there is no heat, no ventilation, other
than opening glass block window vents, and no treatment (that I can perceive)
to the cement floor.  There are plumbing and electrical issues throughout the
house so that is a priority for us but that will also include having plumbing
roughed in for the wet darkroom and adequate electrical to run everything.

Digital printing, drum scanning, etc. is a necessary evil for income reasons,
so all that goes with that will be down there in it's own production area.  I
plan to keep the wet darkroom contained to it's own room, bringing out wet
prints only to dry them.  There are a good number of windows and I plan to
utilize one in the darkroom for exhaust.  They are similar to this one.
http://tinyurl.com/2fr3o8h

At this point I am looking at epoxy basement floor paint as 'flooring' once a
sealer is put down.  Any opinions on that kind of paint or a type of sealer
that has been successful for you?  Anti-fatigue mats would be used in places
where I stand for long periods.

Heat will come in some form from my contractor's suggestions, but in the
basement is a furnace for our 1st floor tenants.  Will that furnace be a dust
issue?

Any other basement lab experiences or suggestions are certainly welcome.

Eric