[pure-silver] Need some help and ideas

  • From: <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 13:31:37 -0700

Though I know its off topic here, and unless the moderator oks on list replies, email off list so we don't flood the email boxes of those that do not desire this type of email.

My problem is that I have a lot of old black and white negatives that must be digitized (I know the dreaded D word)  You can not make a paper print available on the web.  Yet I have been unhappy with the scans I have been getting.  I seem to be getting a lot of noise ie grain look  I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on a scanner at this point.  At some point there might not be a choice, but looking for other alternatives.

My reason for posting this here is I believe many of you have likely had the same issue, and if you haven't the odds are you will at some point.

What I have tried is Noise Ninja.  Good program, but when I upgraded photoshop to CS5 it stopped working and must rebuy it to get it to work with the upgrade.  Haven't yet, but its something I have considered

I haven't had any luck with the noise reduction in CS5.  It may be me not doing the right things however.  Noise Ninja had everything more or less automated. There are tons of tutorials out there, most of them free.  Of those most of them are worth exactly what you pay for them.  If I paid for training Lynda might be the way I would go.  Adobe probably has some good stuff, especially Julianne Kost, but right now I am mad enough at them that I don't want to give them a nickel unless I absolutely have to, and though occasionally I get forced into spending money with Adobe its a last resort.  I'm not there yet.   If anyone has found a good tutorial in the free ones, I'd appreciate it.

Has anyone found any software that they liked that beats Noise Ninja???  There may be better ways that I haven't considered

It may be just my experience, but scanners seem to have much more trouble handling black and white film than color film.  The color scans almost always seem to look better.  Thanks for any help in advance and please reply off list

Mark