[pure-silver] Re: 4x5 ground glass on Cambo

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 19:03:11 -0700

As you know Bogdan, I've been using 4x5 & 8x10 view cameras since 1959. Over
the years I'e owned and used a plethora of view cameras. Graphic View, Calumet,
Sinar, Deardorf, Linhof to name a few. Most had a fresnel screen of some sort,
which I always found to be an asset for screen overall brightness, but a
detriment to focusing. But I have finally found the screen for me...

Ten or so years ago I bought a Linhof Technikardan 45S. Not being happy with
the ground glass, I searched/asked/researched/etc, and came across the
Bosscreen. At that time it was imported by Bromwell Marketing (
http://www.bromwellmarketing.com/index.htm ), which was very difficult to
contact and deal with, and they don't handle the Bosscreen now.

The Boss screen is made by Stabilix B.V. in the Netherlands. But I just checked
and it is now available from B&H, but maybe not for a Cambo, BUT, it is cheaper
and available for most cameras (and yes, the Cambo) directly from Sabilix:

http://www.stabitech.nl/Bosscreen.htm#top

I have to tell you, it is bright from corner to corner (even with WA - I have a
55mm lens for my 4x5) and focusing is a snap! The image is crystal clear with
no concentric lines causing focusing distortions.

I guess you have guessed by now, I just love my Bosscreen. It's the BEST view
camera screen I have ever owned.

Jim

Jim Brick
Sunnyvale, CA