[pure-silver] Re: Kodak discontinues certain chemicals

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 01:16:38 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Claudio Bonavolta" <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:02 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Kodak discontinues certain chemicals

Huh ! There are various film developers in common sizes for amateurs like us !

Xtol, D-76 and HC-110 among others ...

And for Xtol, I checked B&H and Adorama websites and I don't see any other package other those that are discontinued (5 and 50 liters), does it mean Xtol is completely gone ??? As, and except some Ryuji's formulas, there are no real replacement for it, this means stocking, stocking, stocking ... Or, can we ask Kodak to publish a formula for a reasonable replacement ?

Regards,
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

I don't know for certain what Kodak is discontinuing and what they will continue to make. The only notice I've seen so far is the one from Photographer's Formulary unless someone has seen something on the Kodak site. I looked a couple of weeks ago when I got the news letter from FF but could not find any substantiation. The chemicals not mentioned in the letter were liquid concentrates such as T-Max and the print developer. Its hard to believe that Kodak does not sell enough of this stuff to justify continuing making it. If not really clever management would find a way to farm it out. Maybe, after all the propaganda about Kodak continuing to support film it will all turn out to be rubbish. There are a number of patents that tell how to make some of the familiar chemicals, like Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent, all sorts of fixers, buffered D-76, etc. Kodak's versions of these familar items are not quite the same as published formula, where they exist, because Kodak adds sequestering agents and other stuff and uses special versions of some of the chemicals, for instance to allow packaging everything in one container. If Kodak stops making chemicals can film be far behind? The problem is that Kodak has a great deal of sophisticated knowledge which is not shared so probably no one will be able to exactly duplicate what they do. Especially true of film.