[pure-silver] Re: Installing Horizontal Enlarger

  • From: jeffrey <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:02:48 -0800

>Instead of mounting the enlarger on the track, how about making the easel
>movable? It would be lighter, could be entirely made of wood, and even
>could be ceiling mounted. Place the enlarger where it could remain
>stationary conveniently (maybe on a pad of bricks so it's higher than the
>flood waters ever reach -- remember recent tsunami, make it higher than you
>expect ever to be necessary...).

The big problem with making the 'easel' movable is keeping alignment
between the enlarger and the easel. With a steel 'railroad track'
secured to the floor, once alignment is set, it is very unlikely to
come out of alignment.

I used these enlargers for years, and I have to say that, no matter
how hard you try, at some point, you will walk right into it in the
dark. (I was only doing color work, so I had no safelights.)

It will hurt.

But with the enlarger secured to the track/floor, it shouldn't come
out of alignment.