[pure-silver] Installing Horizontal Enlarger

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:59:00 -0600

I'm in the process of installing a De Vere 508H 8x10 horizontal enlarger
in my basement. You can see a pictures at:
http://www.khbphotografix.com/devere/ It's the model on the right. The
tricky part involves installing the metal track.  This steel track
consists of parallel runners with the occasional cross bracing. Each
section is 5 ft long. I'll be installing two of them. The runners are 1"
wide, 1/2" thick, and 5 ft long. There are counter-bored 1/4" (or so)
holes every 15.5 inches along the length of the runners. It's 26" from
the outside edge of one runner to the outside edge of the other. My
basement floor is the problem, as it slopes towards the middle of the
floor, where there's a drain. As such, I'm going to have to come up with
a way to make the tracks level, as that way I can use a level as a
reference. The other factor is that the basement floor regularly becomes
wet during heavy rains. This is a big problem in my area. Finally, I can
more easily work wood than metal. Does anyone have any suggestions for
how to level the track? Here's a couple idea's:

Idea #1: I could rip maple boards to roughly 3/4x2x30", apply a few
coats of marine epoxy, and then install 1/4" threaded inserts near the
end of each board. I'd place a board under the runners every foot in a
similar fashion to rail road ties.   I could then use stainless steel
elevator bolts (or similar-does anyone know of a source for stainless
steel elevator bolts?) to adjust the height of each of the maple boards.

Idea #2: I could get some steel stock 1/2 thick x 1 inch wide by 30"
long. I could then cut 2" long pieces. (What's the best way to cut this?
Could I put a special blade in my 10" miter saw?) These would be
attached under the runners. I could then drill and thread holes in the
stock and use bolts just like in Idea #1. It'd probably be best to weld
the pieces under the runners, but I don't have a good source for doing
this. Perhaps epoxy would work? Furthermore, I'd have to coat the steel
with something to avoid rust.Any suggestions? This option would avoid
putting wood in a damp environment.

Comments?

-Peter De Smidt