[pure-silver] Re: Here's one for the head scratchers

  • From: Helen Bach <helenbach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:24:42 -0500

A thousand apologies for the misinformation about Autographic film,
and many thanks to Richard for pointing out my error.

Here's something from a 1915 Kodak publication:

'The Autographic Kodak has a spring door in the back, which covers a
narrow slot through which the titling is done (with a pencil or with
the stylus provided for the purpose) on the red paper protecting the
film. This slot is so located as to bring the title into the margin
between the exposures, but if it is desired to place the title on the
picture itself, a slight turn of the spool key will bring it into that
position. If two lines of data are to be written, one can be placed in
the margin and the other on the picture, if so desired. Such titling
would appear on the bottom of an upright picture, or at the left-hand
end of a horizontal picture.

The Autographic Film Cartridge differs from the regular N. C. Film
Cartridge in this respect. A thin red, instead of the familiar red and
black (duplex) paper is used. This red paper, in itself, is not fully
light-proof, but between it and the film is a thin strip of black
displacing tissue. This tissue serves the double purpose of
light-proofing the cartridge and of permitting the recording, by
light, of writing upon the film. When the data has been written on the
red paper and printed (by exposing with the door open to the sky for
from two to five seconds) the image is photographically impressed on
the film and appears when the film strip is developed.'

Yet I have a vague memory of the method working with normal film - at
least I assume that it was normal because Autographic film disappeared
long before I was born ('55).

Best,
Helen