[pure-silver] Re: Fogged New Oriental Seagull paper [long post]

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:40:17 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Badcock" <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 6:44 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Fogged New Oriental Seagull paper
[long post]

> G'day folks.
>
> Since I'm an electronics & software tinkerer by hobby (and
> profession), my efforts in the darkroom to date have
> gravitated more towards controlling electrons in
> (semi)conductors rather than fiddling with ions in novel
> chemical soups. Having said that, I am always wanting to
> learn new things,
> and the recent thread re. PC-TEA and restrainers has me
> asking questions about my choice of paper+developer which
> is
> proving challenging!

    I don't think the problem is the developer. Neutol Plus
at 1:9 is about the same as Dektol 1:2. I've been using it
recently because it seems to be a good, long lived,
developer.
    There are a number of things that can cause fog. One of
the first things to check is the safelight. There is a good
safelight check published by Kodak as publication K-4 but,
before doing that, I would test a section of paper in total
darkness. Develop half the paper and continue processing of
the whole sheet. If the paper is fogged it will show up in
this test. If it comes out clean it is likely the safelight.
    If the paper itself is fogged then it could well be that
something happened to it during shipping. Its also
_possible_ that it was defective from the manufacturer, but
that would be hard to prove.
    If the fog is severe there is probably not much that can
be done. If its only slight a dose of Benzotriazole in the
developer may suppress it enough to make the paper usable.
Benzotriazole is more effective for this purpose than
Potassium bromide.
   Hopefully it will turn out to be the safelight.

---