[pure-silver] Re: Fogged New Oriental Seagull paper [long post]

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:27:43 -0500 (EST)

From: "Peter Badcock" <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Fogged New Oriental Seagull paper [long post]
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:44:09 +1100

> my efforts in the darkroom to date have
> gravitated more towards controlling electrons in
> (semi)conductors rather than fiddling with ions in novel
> chemical soups.

Silver halide crystals are indirect gap semiconductors. Did you know
that?  A lot of things I learned about silicone were very useful in
understanding silver halide photography and formulating developers and
emulsions.

> This is approximately
> 0.09 log units, and is way too high for my liking!
> Unfortunately I have no step tablet or reflection
> densitometer to accurately confirm this assessment, but it
> is clear to me that when I only fix the paper (with NO
> development), that the paper base density comes out one zone
> lighter on the Zone Ruler (i.e. Zone IX, or paper white as
> expected).

If your developer is well formulated one free of developer fog, and
all other aspects of darkroom handling is not faulty, that's emulsion
fog and there's nothing you can do about it.

> ii) Is my DEVELOPER TOO ACTIVE for the paper?   or
> iii) Is my PAPER TOO SENSITIVE for the developer?

Of course you have to make sure it's not (ii). (iii) doesn't make
sense if you mean something different from (ii). If you want to test
the possibility if (ii), dilute the developer and add some potassium
bromide or benzotriazole. Develop to _completion_. Is the fog still
there? If so, there's nothing you can do about it. The paper is fogged.
It's an emulsion fog.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."