[pure-silver] Re: Fogged New Oriental Seagull paper [long post]

  • From: "Peter Badcock" <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:50:51 +1100

>     There are a number of things that can cause fog. One
> of  the first things to check is the safelight. There is a
> good  safelight check published by Kodak as publication
> K-4 but,  before doing that, I would test a section of
> paper in total  darkness. Develop half the paper and
> continue processing of  the whole sheet. If the paper is
> fogged it will show up in  this test. If it comes out
> clean it is likely the safelight.

I've already tried developing it without my safelight on,
yet unfortunately it is still fogged :(
In fact, I get the same reflection density (subjectively
compared) whether I have the safelight on or off, and also
if I develop for 20 seconds OR 200 seconds!

>     If the fog is severe there is probably not much that
> can  be done. If its only slight a dose of Benzotriazole
> in the  developer may suppress it enough to make the paper
> usable.

Is a base+fog density of 0.09 log units 'severe' or
'slight'?

regards
Peter Badcock