[pure-silver] Re: Help removing (metol) stain.

  • From: "Claudio Bonavolta" <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:13:37 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Woodhouse" <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 9:59 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Help removing (metol) stain.

> Whenever I develop a film in Perceptol, I am left with a grey slime over my
> tank and reels. I assume it is a metol by-product, since I don't have this
> problem with any other developer.
>
> Is there an easy way to clean the tank and reels? (The tank I can wipe with
> a cloth, but the reels are more tricky and resist attempts with a nail
> brush)
> --
> Regards Chris Woodhouse ARPS

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure it is only related to the developer. With XTol, I obtain
"variable" stain depending of
the film processed.
I suspect it is more film/developer combo related.

This stain never remain for long on my reels because I also do color (E-6 and
C-41) and these
chemicals completely clean the reels and tank (with no effect on the color
films processing).

Kodak in publication J-1 gave this formula among others:
TC-1
Water 1000ml
Potassium Dichromate 90.0 grams
Sulfuric Acid concentrated* 96.0 milliliters
* be cautious with this stuff, add acid slowly to water

You can find that publication at (warning the PDF is a 20MB file):
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/files/Kodak%20j-1.pdf

Regards,
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch