[pure-silver] Re: Help removing (metol) stain.

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 03:27:38 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jan 30, 2005 12:59 AM
To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Help removing (metol) stain.

Whenever I develop a film in Perceptol, I am left with a grey slime over my
tank and reels. I assume it is a metol by-product, since I don't have this
problem with any other developer.

Is there an easy way to clean the tank and reels? (The tank I can wipe with
a cloth, but the reels are more tricky and resist attempts with a nail
brush)
--
Regards Chris Woodhouse ARPS

    I doubt if this is from Metol, which is in a great many film and paper
developers. It may be silver or silver sulfide. A dichromate cleaner will
certainly get it off but you may have success with household bleach which is a
lot safer.
    Do you have this problem with a particular kind of film?
    I used Microdol-X routinely for several years without any kind of residue,
you might consider it as a substitute for the Perceptol.