[pure-silver] Re: Hamster was (Glass versus Plastic containers)

  • From: Philippe Gauthier <pgauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:54:39 -0400

DarkroomMagic a écrit :

I agree with that. Buying supplies once or twice a year is not what I was
referring to. But buying run-out supplies to last you for the next 10 years
(and sometimes a few freezers to go with it), is an understandable but
unnecessary panic, which is hurting the industry, in my view.

I don't think it makes much of a difference, as long as the supplier doesn't try to make some "exit profit" by producing a special batch for those who want to hoard - and I don't think Agfa did that. In a normal situation, if the, say, last 100,000 units of something represent about 3 months worth of sales, it doesn't make a difference if 1000 buyers hoard 100 units each or if 100,000 buyers each buy one unit. In the second case, the supply will be exhausted in three months and the remaining producers won't get these 100,000 new customers before these three months. In the first case, 1000 people won't be customers before a long, long time, but 99,000 will be immediately, because they didn't stock and they need an alternative now.

Philippe Gauthier