[pure-silver] Re: Film vs Digital- was: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:10:04 -0800

Speedy . wrote:
> Dana,
>
> One of these days I will tell you I told you so.

Of course you will :-).  Just go ahead and say it now and get it over with.

> Data archivists...  I know a little bit about this.  I make my living as
> an Information Systems Manager.

Yeah, I make my living developing those systems you manage.

> You can take this to the bank.  Data archivists are scrambling to try
> and have the data now in digital form available in the future.  They are
> facing the same problems that I mentioned in my last posting.
> Namely hard drive failure and obsolsecence of storage format and software.

Of course.  Are you suggesting that the data archivists are going to
fail?

> OK so you have a 20 year old CD player.  Cool!  When was the last time
> you attempted to play an 8 track tape?  Or as an even better example how
> about a Sony Beta tape?

I was actually waiting for you to mention an Exatron Stringy Floppy
or a Kansas City format cassette, or diskettes from a Commodore 1541
or Victor Business Machine.  Yes, indeed, history is littered with
failed storage formats.  Sure.

> There are digital image formats out there that are now totally
> obsolete.  The that utilized those formats are not compatable with
> current and future operating systems.  Those images are now gone.

Name these formats specifically, please.

> OK Data Archivists will continue updating their data into the next data
> format and saving onto the next data medium to come along.  Can you be
> sure that will happen to your digital files in the future?  Will your
> kids and grandkids and great grandkids care enough to do this with your
> digital files?  At some point somebody will drop the ball.

At some point, we (meaning, everyone) will mostly trust our data archival
to the professionals.  They'll take care of our data, for a small fee,
indefinitely.

The chance of someone "dropping the ball" is arguably on the same order
of magnitude as the precious negatives being lost in a house fire or flood.

> Once an image is fixed on film unless there is a fire it will be
> available as long as there are chemicals and media available to produce
> a print and barring that that original capture - the negative - can
> always be scanned and an image produced.

All true.  See above.

> I'll repeat and then get out of this debate per my New Years Resolution:
> One of these days I will tell you "I told you so!"

You basically get to pick whenever you want to say it, because we
seem to be arguing on the basis of faith here.  So, go ahead and say
it and we can all have a happy 2007 :-)

Cheers,
Dana