[pure-silver] Re: Impassioned Pleas To Manufacturers

  • From: "Randy Stewart" <randal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:42:57 -0800

I suspect that for my lifetime (I'm 60), there will be an adequately diverse
supply of B&W and color film and paper products [more B&W than color, as color
porduction is rapidly shifting to all digital]. However, with Kodak terminating
it's B&W lab several years ago and turning all resources to digital
development, it will provide continuation of its current products so long as
there is an economic market, and no more.  Fuji seems more active in film-based
development. Ilford probably would do so but for its thin hold on solvency.
Universities and individuals aren't going to have the resources to develop
film-based products, much less to market such products - forget that.  I'll
settle for the status quo or, more likely, a slowing contracting supply of
products from the remaining majors.  I think the hope for the future of B&W is
most likely to rest on the small makers, like Forte, who operate at lower
volumes and will be benefited by the majors fleeing the traditional marketplace.

Not a cheerful estimate of the future of traditional photography as a rich and
diverse supply of product, but as a medium it will likely suvive at some low
volume of product.  It was happening long beofre digital came along.  Example:
in the 60's when I learned B&W printing, Kodak dominated the US market with so
many diverse styles of printing paper that just making an intellegent selection
was tough, and this required 4 -6 grades of paper contrast for each type and
paper surface in addition.  There were probably more variations of Kodak
Medalist paper [my favorite of the day] alone than all of the collected B&W
papers available in the world today.   All of that product diversity went out
of production long before digital arrived, driven by a popular turn from B&W to
color.  The demise of photo products and the technology which drives it is a
one-way trip, and it's not going to be reversed by pleas to the manufacturers.

Randy
  On 2006-12-30 23:54, "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Dear Friends,

        I have decided not to make New Year's Resolution. Instead, I am going
to make impassioned pleas to manufacturers and institutions. This year it
begins with:

    1. Please make LF shutters - particularly Copal 1's and 0's - with a flash
connection that is easy to use. Perhaps a 6 inch length of sturdy PC cord from
the side of the shutter and the PC socket out on the end of that - then when we
want to change flash connections with the lens under a compendium we do not
have to fumble under the lens in the dark. And the socket cannot break off the
shutter body.

    2. Please make Polaroid 4 x 5 sheet film and get it to me in Australia
before it goes out of date.

    3. Please make Fuji 4 x 5 instant sheet film to fit my Polaroid holder.

    Uncle Dick

  Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security
AOL Mail and more.

12:47 PM