[pure-silver] Re: Film vs Digital- was: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: Bernard <bernard_cousineau@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:39:27 -0500

Archival storage is a bigger problem then its ever been.. My little
company has multiple TB of live data.. constantly growing.. where can we
store it? Tape is not a good long term solution..
Now we have 100s of machines and redundant Internet links and even 2 locations
in Munich.. so we might be able to stem a bit of the tide.. and maybe
with luck hold things a bit together.. but only by luck.. But what normal
photographer has the technology and data budget? And what consumer?

Look into Amazon S3. Amazon is not the only provider of this type of service, but they are the best known. The general idea is that your data is spread over multiple locations linked by the Internet. Sort of like a RAID array where 20 disks are in Belgium, 50 in Korea, 40 in Argentina, and so on...

RAID is not the answer if you are depending on four drives in one location, but it works very well if your data is on thousands of drives worldwide.

I wonder if quill-and-ink diarists worry about bloggers half as much as people on this list worry about digital photography.

Bernard