[pure-silver] Re: Film vs Digital- was: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:48:20 -0800

Edward C. Zimmermann wrote:
> Talking about kids, cameras and snapshots...
>
> My 7 year old daughter went to a 5 day camp last weekend.. and I gave
> her a Leica Mini P&S. She shot 4 films in colour (I gave her also a roll
> of APX-100 but she kept to the Vista 200). Took the film to a drugstore
> for processing and printing. We picked up the films this evening (well 3
> of them, the 4th will arrive on tuesday meaning that we'll also get a free
> 12 exposure film). I ordered 11x17cm prints. She shot "digital style" so
> a lot of duplicates.

My kids often want to give pictures to friends, for example, they'll take a
picture of a group of 4-5 and then they want to give each member of the group
a print.  This gets expensive pretty quickly, so what I did is tell my children
to send the digital image to their friends, and the friends can print it any
way they want - at their expense.

The local lab charges the same for a print from a negative as for a print
from a digital file, and, AFAIK, doesn't offer the luxury of refusing prints
because they're pictures one didn't intend to keep.

My kids prefer online viewable albums - remember, we're talking about
snapshots here - so they don't order prints for every single digital
capture.

Dana