[pure-silver] Re: Film vs Digital- was: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: "Speedy ." <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 20:40:24 +0000

Dana,

One of these days I will tell you I told you so.

Data archivists... I know a little bit about this. I make my living as an Information Systems Manager.

You can take this to the bank. Data archivists are scrambling to try and have the data now in digital form available in the future. They are facing the same problems that I mentioned in my last posting.
Namely hard drive failure and obsolsecence of storage format and software.

OK so you have a 20 year old CD player. Cool! When was the last time you attempted to play an 8 track tape? Or as an even better example how about a Sony Beta tape?

There are digital image formats out there that are now totally obsolete. The that utilized those formats are not compatable with current and future operating systems. Those images are now gone.

OK Data Archivists will continue updating their data into the next data format and saving onto the next data medium to come along. Can you be sure that will happen to your digital files in the future? Will your kids and grandkids and great grandkids care enough to do this with your digital files? At some point somebody will drop the ball.

Once an image is fixed on film unless there is a fire it will be available as long as there are chemicals and media available to produce a print and barring that that original capture - the negative - can always be scanned and an image produced.

I'll repeat and then get out of this debate per my New Years Resolution:
One of these days I will tell you "I told you so!"

Speedy