[pure-silver] Re: Exposed old HP5

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 13:24:15 -0700

Well, I was just curious after all that discussion. I've found that D-76 is about the most reliable of the developers although one can get slightly better performance from Xtol. Some films need something like DK-50A. Kodak made a high speed film decades ago called Royal Pan or maybe Royal-X Pan that would produce dichroic fog in D-76 but I can't think of any other film that doesn't work in it.
Somewhere I have old data sheets, I mean real ones, not downloaded, but they are probably in storage. I probably had one for HP-5 which might explain the difference between it and HP-5 Plus.
Both Ilford and Kodak and probably AGFA did a lot of research into preventing age fog and also degradation of the latent image. Part of it depends on storage. Cool temperatures are best.
Anyway, when you do some more I would be interested in seeing of the images.
I don't have a suitable scanner for negatives or transparencies, and, in fact, am without a working printer at the moment. The ink jets in both of mine are clogged. I am going to try a cleaning technique I read about somewhere which uses a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and blue Windex. Can't break it worse than it is. Replacement print heads cost as much as a whole new machine. Anyway, enough for now. I am so glad this worked out for you. You are certainly one of the old hands on the Pure Silver list and I think were on one of the Usenet groups too.

On 7/1/2018 12:54 PM, Janet Gable Cull wrote:

I used d76, 1:1, 68 degrees for 13 minutes.  No magic to it.  I agitate every 40 seconds.  There was no fog.  A friend told me that if it's HP5 and not HP5+ the film must be at least 30 years old.  THat's hard to believe because … well, if so then it keeps very well.  I found them easy to print at a time that allowed for a little bit of dodging.  I printed them open one stop and got good times which varied a little from one image to another. There was nothing wonderful on these 2 rolls but they were good for the experiment because of that. I wouldn't have lost anything great, though I didn't find anything great either.  My scanner isn't working so all I could do is take a picture of a print with my phone and … hmm, then how will I get it here?  Let me think about that. I can show you something just to see an image from the process but it won't be impressive, I'll tell you.  Maybe something from the next 3 rolls?

Thank you all again!

Janet

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 1:33 AM, `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

         I'm glad they turned out OK. Now, tell us what you did.

    On 6/30/2018 6:41 PM, Janet Gable Cull wrote:

        Well I processed the film (13 minutes) and printed a few
        frames today. The negatives are good and the film is
        good, better than the images I made but that’s another
        subject. I am satisfied with my processing. Thank you all
        for your help!

        Janet

        Janet Gable Cull
        Sent from my iPhone