[pure-silver] Re: Excellent editorial from the UK on harassment of photographers as potential terrorists

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:37:38 -0400

Hi,

I think that this obsession with national security has taken the public consciousness beyond the pale of coherent reasoning. Try explaining to a police officer that you have every legal right to be photographing, say, a railroad station or a bridge; you show him the article that was presented to us by Bob Younger, including the wallet size pdf file "The Photographer's Right". As far as he is concerned, he is a police officer and he knows what is legal and what is illegal and if you don't move on or refuse to give up your film, then he can arrest you for obstructing a police officer in the performance of his duty. Then what? We're not talking about your village vicar anymore. You can explain till you're blue in the face, but there's not much you can do from the inside of a cell. Intimidation can be very powerful when you wear a badge and carry a gun. Who are you going to complain to when you no longer have any rights. Call me paranoid but I think that we live in very troubled times, where civil liberties have been dangerously eroded and to even question this state of affairs or not wearing a flag pin on your lapel, is seen as a sign of unpatriotic behaviour!

Ok, off my pulpit!

Cheers,
Bogdan

Aaron Reece wrote:

Elias,

You make a fair point but suppose the photographer is on holiday in a strange city. There would be little or no opportunity to obtain permission to photograph the church on a tour or walk around the city. In the long run, I believe that it is more important to firmly establish the legal rights of photographers in the public consciousness, and thereby avoid such confrontations entirely. On a lighter note, one of the big advantages of TLR photography these days is that only old-timers recognize them as cameras in the first place.

Best regards,
Aaron Reece
Oswego, NY, USA

On Jun 6, 2008, at 6:07 PM, eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

That's just nuts, of course. But at the same time it would have been worth your while to contact the minister and ask "permission", explain your artistic interest in their building, promise a print, do a group shot. You might turn the experience into something positive for you and them - serve as an ambassador for large format photography. If he/she says no, then you didn't waste your time setting up.

 Bogdan Karasek
 Montréal, Québec                     bogdan(at)bogdanphoto.com
 Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com

                    "I bear witness"