[pure-silver] Re: Excellent editorial from the UK on harassment of photographers as potential terrorists

  • From: "Bob Younger" <ryounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:29:08 -0700

E., you're entirely right that we should do what we can to turn
the situations into something good; do something to dispel the
notion that photographers are, or work for, terrorists. My
amazement was that this parishioner thought this middle-aged,
gray-haired guy with a camera was a terrorist. In fact, he used
his cell phone to call the pastor who came out to see what was
going on. The pastor suggested that I not try to photograph the
church; acknowledged that I probably had the right to do so from
the sidewalk; DID keep his church member from calling the police;
but did not tell him to move away and not stand in front of me.
Neither were interested in talking much. But your point is
well-taken; we should proactively work to reverse the image that
taking pictures of or in public places is wrong.

There's an interesting video on this link of an AMTRAK spokesman
explaining ON CAMERA that it is perfectly legal to photograph
inside Union Station when a security guard walks up and tells
them to shut off the cameras!

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=C5EB861
DC520F425C08BB9C1199CDDE5?contentId=6664418&version=2&locale=EN-U
S&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

Bob

That's just nuts, of course. But at the same time it would have
been worth your while to contact the minister and ask
"permission", explain your artistic interest in their building,
promise a print, do a group shot. You might turn the experience
into something positive for you and them - serve as an ambassador
for large format photography. If he/she says no, then you didn't
waste your time setting up.

E.