[pure-silver] Re: Efke R100 Chapter 2: PMK

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 08:55:14 -0700 (PDT)

In ancient times, I started my processing w/plastic reels and used Paterson
reels for years.  I was always somewhat of a spaz w/steel reels but when I
acquired a large cache of them, I was able to learn to load them using the clip
as that gave me a decent starting point once the film was properly centered
which is critical for success.  I never used PMK with either type reels/tanks.

Once I switched to Jobo processing, I used PMK for a while till I learned of
pyrocat hd and made the switch to that developer.  PMK can have some unevenness
in rotary whereas pyrocat seems to avoid that with all the benefits of PMK.

Unfortunately myth and scarcity have driven the prices of what's left of Jobo
machines and peripherals into the stratosphere so I wouldn't recommend going
that route unless you find a great deal somewhere, but Paterson tanks in the
past worked just fine.  There's a small BB at the film gate which prevents film
from backing off the reel (at least on my 30 yr. old reels w/Kodak films) so
perhaps that will work if you're going to stay with this type of film.