[pure-silver] Re: Chromogenic toning?

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:21:04 -0500

p-Diethylaminoaniline sulphate is one of the older color developing agents.  You
can substitute one of the newer ones say Kodak CD-3 or CD-4 which you can get
from most of the photo suppliers like ArtCraft.

Sodium formaldehyde sulphoxylate is what you get when you add paraformaldehyde
to sodium sulfite.  You can make it in situ or it may be available from a
supplier who makes lithograph developers.

4-Nitrobenzyl cyanide, acetoacet-2 5-dichloroanilide, 2,4-dicloro-1-naphthol,
1-naphthol are all color couplers.  Each produces a different color, for
example, 1-naphthol produces a cyan color.  You would use only one or maybe two
from the list to produce the color you want in the print.  You may have to go to
a chemical supplier like JT Baker to get these.

Jerry